Confession #7: You’re not too old for fairy kei!
Today I’d like to discuss how I’ve come across a few things, concerning fairy kei, in which girls talk about how they feel fairy kei is too “juvenile,” think they’re too old for fairy kei, or think it’s only for teenagers in which you grow out of the fashion into, say, cult party kei.
While I think peoples’, and my own, styles are always evolving in which one could go from fairy kei to another fashion like cult party kei, I think that there shouldn’t be a line drawn as far as what age you say you stop wearing a certain fashion! (though, there are exceptions to people who just don’t have good fashion sense to begin with)
I think people in the Japanese fashion community should be the least concerned with “age-appropriateness” considering how many of the best styles in Japan are many times misconstrued as “childish” or “costume-y” to some critical westerners with narrow views of what fashion really is.
Why even be part of Japanese fashion if you are going to restrict yourself??
With that said, I think people tend to think fairy kei is “childish” due to the dominant color scheme and use of 80s childrens’ characters like Popples and Care Bears. If fairy kei was meant to be for children, then wouldn’t it be a style only worn by girls under ten years old, considering the characters and bright colors?
Of course, on the contrary, fairy kei is usually worn by girls 15 and over! Not to mention, our representative girls at 6% Tokidoki and Spank! are over the age of 20!! Miss Tavuchi was about 23 years old when she began Spank! and will be over 30 years old soon!
Tavuchi, in an interview I posted a little while ago, said that her customers range from 12 years old to 40 years old! To her, Spank! is more about the 80s culture than anything else, it seems.
It makes sense that young women (not young girls) would be into fairy kei. After all, those of us who were children in the 80s and early 90s, who enjoyed fairy kei inspirations, are now over the age of 16! Fairy kei is nostalgic and speaks to our childhood in many ways, which makes it all the more appealing.
Really and truly, this fashion is for the young at heart.
"Style is style, fashion is fashion." If you have style, then you don’t need fashion, nor do you need to adhere to any "rules" like age limits. Tavuchi created her own style, likely not caring what the "rules" were.
BOTTOM LINE: If you want to dress fairy kei, then you are not too old for fairy kei! Dress how you want and do it with style and you will be alright.
Do YOU think you are or will ever be too old for fairy kei?
Below is a picutre of 22 year old Kumamiki who is a designer and created her own fairy kei style indie brand, Party Baby! She and her creations are adorable ^_^
- kolaqube likes this
- smileangelkevin reblogged this from fairykeidust
- thedaintyheart likes this
- mildlove likes this
- lechatchocolat likes this
- birthday-resistance likes this
- gonzago likes this
- karma-khameleon likes this
- mybeatentrack reblogged this from fairykeidust
- coloursofthespring reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- coloursofthespring likes this
- missalphabet likes this
- lordwatermelon likes this
- subtlynfuckincuddly said:I *really* like Kumamiki interpretation of fairy kei. She might be my favorite icon of the fashion so far.
- stalinistqueens reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- prettyplutonian reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- dollyrotted likes this
- etroschampion likes this
- poshlilbitch likes this
- ttittyttwistters likes this
- chihsinwu likes this
- angelbrite reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- phantomwings86 reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- nikiya likes this
- evil-muffins reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei and added:
- kivat likes this
- ladyxdezi reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- ladyxdezi likes this
- milkymushroomshampoo reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- jastreefa likes this
- pig-along reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- delicatepetalprincess reblogged this from fairykeidust
- dirkpee reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- blackyue likes this
- chibitoon reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- chibitoon likes this
- dulcemau reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- mandaplz likes this
- spacess likes this
- amayachan90 likes this
- fruchtkaramellen reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- prettykittycourtney likes this
- niczka reblogged this from fuckyeahfairykei
- fuckyeahfairykei reblogged this from fairykeidust
- pastelfairytears likes this
- thejeniverse likes this
- topblainey likes this
- fairykeidust posted this